People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.
Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

10.12.2008

Rugby




I play rugby. Who the heck would have thought? I think my brother Hunter put it best when he said "and that's why you aren't married". Rugby isn't all that harsh and brute-like when playing 7's or even 10's, 15's get annoying due to all the players in the way.




Lo Stender is in my ward and she plays for the U.S. Women's team and travels the world, she was the one who got me to play rugby for the Slots. We went to Flagstaff about a month ago and played a couple of 15's and my body ached for days after, come to find out your body doesn't get used to it and the soreness isn't the greatest familiarity.


It's fun to be part of an actual team again and to have to go to practice. We practice with the Las Vegas Blackjacks, the men's rugby team, and I'm learning a lot. I find it hard not to compare it to football and want to react as such, but it opens many doors and instant friends.




So far I've played openside-flanker & lock positions, I've been practicing as a center and hopefully will get to run the ball a little more for more tries. Yesterday I had the chance to play touch rugby at the Fijian Independence celebration with many people representing many different nations all both young and old. True to their motto "a hooligans' game played by gentlemen".

5 comments:

Jenn Davidson said...

ha, when you talk about rugby, I feel like you're speaking a whole different language! It was fun seeing you this last weekend! Serrell's want you to come again this weekend to watch chico and macon! ha.... they're going to moab for a race hope is in.. love you. mom and ali are here

Rachelle said...

Well, that's pretty much awesome.

janica said...

yay! i found yur blog. did you take that main picture up top? Amazing! and rugby?! That's soo sweet. I almost tried out for the team here at Byu.

Brian and Camilla Freeman said...

Nicole! I was sooo excited when I saw your comment in my email. I love your blog! I can't wait to show it to Brian. We were wonderin' what you were up to these days...even tried calling a couple of times, but apparantly we have an old telephone number!

Justin and Janell said...

Rugby, thats awesome! So I got a quick question. We are thinking about moving to Flagstaff after graduation, what did you think of it? Anyways, sounds like your having fun. I love ya!!